Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Falling off the Wagon...


I did it last week.

Not only did I miss three days of running, but I also managed to down about 3,000 calories a day for a couple of those days thanks to a trip to the never ending... all you can eat... make yourself sick...heart attack inducing...very uncomfortable stomach making...Pancake feast at IHOP followed by my Pizza delivery guy little brother bringing over samples of the new Pizza's at Domino's the next night(A couple of those are REALLY tasty), and then I capped the weekend with a cheeseburger from our new Five Guys, five minutes from the house.

All of those carbs would have been fine if I was running major mileage....but...I wasn't.

This wasn't the first time I've been working towards a goal and done something totally counter-productive that makes that goal more difficult to attain. It happens with more regularity than I care to admit...

The thing that makes it ok, or at least not disastrous, is that I've learned that just because you fall off the wagon doesn't mean you've got to stay there. The difference between those who accomplish most of their goals and those that rarely do, isn't some incredible difference in talent or luck, it's the willingness of some to not dwell on the pancake mistake and get back on the treadmill while others give up. It's also similar to what Seth Godin discusses in The Dip, that right before great success we often experience a failure or slowdown.
Some of you set goals and resolutions for the new year and are already at the point of giving up....DON'T....get back on the wagon!

I'll see you there.

No comments:

map