Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Truth about You!

I read a lot of books, one thing I'm going to start doing is go a little slower to get a little more out of them, one way I'm hoping it will sink in is through my regurgitation of highlights and key points here.

I'm a big Marcus Buckingham fan. Here is my recap and take on his latest book, The Truth About You.

If you've never read anything by Buckingham, which includes possibly my favorite business book, The One Thing you need to Know, as well as several others like First, Break All the Rules.
I would say this newest book is a GREAT place to start. It's a one hour read and offers up many of the highlights that are worked over a little more fully in some of his other work. It also includes a well produced and thought provoking DVD which could be watched as a stand alone study and offer some good insight, when combined with the book, it offers a great tool to help more fully understand who you are and how you should approach your life, especially at work.

His Basic Premises are

We All Have Strengths, and by strength he doesn't even mean necessarily the things we are best at, but the things that energize and strengthen us and that we look forward to doing and look forward to doing again when we're done.

We All Have Weaknesses, these are not always things you're bad at, in fact you can even be very good at them, but if it is a chore, labor, draining, before, during, and after, then it's a weakness.

We will grow most in our areas of strength, so spend as much time as possible in your areas of strength.

To live life as the best version of you, you must find and capitalize on your strengths and spend most of your time in those areas that strengthen you. To do this, you must be intentional in uncovering them and then do all you can to point your job and your life in the direction that will make the best use of your unique strengths.

As I said, this book is almost bullet point thin, but offers some basic ideas that I agree with and would encourage everyone to consider. If you've already read most of Buckingham's other work this one will seem a bit elementary, but for the time you'll invest I'd still suggest it. If you aren't fully aware of your strengths and weaknesses and haven't spent much time in Buckingham's work, I'd recommend you pick this one up ASAP!

No comments:

map