Wednesday, March 25, 2009

MAC vs PC


As some of you know, I recently bought two new laptops. A Macbook Air for myself and a HP running 64 bit Vista for my wife.


Since I am now a little more educated on the two, I felt like sharing a few of my opinions and perspectives.



Obviously, the size of the Air is great and its also far more powerful than a similar weighing (3lbs),but smaller screened netbook that are becoming popular, of course the price is also about triple...

Since I'm a pretty new mac user, it is taking some getting used to, and I do miss the ability to do some excel spreadsheets occasionally when the mood hits. Creating word docs is simple and that has been a pleasant surprise, the remote use of other CD drives works better in theory than practice so I'm going to get an external drive for loading software and copying CD's to my iTunes library. Battery life has been good, I get three hours easy and upwards of four depending on what I'm doing, it also conserves great in hibernate/standby mode.



As for my wife's new PC laptop, it's about 5.1 pounds and feels more than twice as thick, but it also cost about half and has three times the hard drive space, a faster processor, and double the RAM. I haven't used it a ton, but enough to understand why some people aren't fans of Vista, though she hasn't had any trouble with it crashing or freezing. It also runs louder and hotter than my virtually silent mac. I do like the media card slots, extra ports, and built in cd drive, and of course, the price!



All in all, I'm very happy with my Mac, but I'm not yet a fanatic shouting its praises from rooftops and for the average user, a PC still makes the most sense from a cost vs. benefit standpoint...BUT the PC's don't look nearly as cool sitting at Starbucks sipping their five dollar coffees as us mac users!

1 comment:

Mike said...

Macbook Air - no
Macbook - yes
Macbook Pro - yes²

Try openoffice.org for free software to do spreadsheets or just buy iWork. You could even buy Excell for mac if you really wanted to.

map