Saturday, March 14, 2009

Saturday Project

This week, I'm going to be doing some yard work and gathering supplies to finish my basement, but last week...

I decided to bake some bread! I bought some organic whole wheat flour recently and Saturday night decided it was time to enter the world of making my own bread...one problem...

No Recipe.

So I did what any self respecting man who is about to make his first loaf of bread did, I made up my own recipe.

I listened to my wife chatter about my impending failure the whole time, as I added a pinch of this and a dash of that, then kneaded the whole thing, let is rise, and put it in a pan in the oven...I was soon greeted with the smell of...BREAD!

It is now wife tested and APPROVED! If you're looking for a nice organic homemade wheat bread with some substance, here is a recipe worth trying...

2 1/4 Cups Organic Whole Wheat Flour
1 1/4 Cups Filtered Water
1/4 Cup Sunflower Seeds
1/4 Cup Flaxseed...I used milled this time, but will try whole next time
1/4 Cup Oats, not sure how much this added to the finished product, but it's in there
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon yeast

Mix it all and knead for 5 minutes then cover and let rise for 45 minutes, then knead for another minute and let rise another 45, then place in oven at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes

If you're into experiments(like me) you might like to try making it a sweet wheat by adding honey, maple syrup, or molasses...I'll be trying that...

If you're a little less adventurous, I'm sure it would be a fine traditional wheat bread with just the flour, water, salt, and yeast. Look at the ingredients on the next loaf you buy at the store and you may find yourself baking soon!

2 comments:

WatchingHISstory said...

my mother is a bread baker and even bakes and sells to dealers.

I will ask her to consider whole wheat!

for my self I will search Calvin's Institutes for futher help!

Jenny said...

We (well, okay, Clark) made homemade bread for the first time last night.

map