Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Time Management


It's a topic we both need to discuss and avoid all to often. In the busiest seasons of my life, I'm actually decent at managing my time, it's in the times when I have the good fortune to slow down that I often end up wasting precious time.

I have had a pretty slow September and that has resulted in several projects not getting finished that I had plenty of time to work on. Now as I start looking at the months ahead, I realize just how important getting those things done while I had the time really should have been.

My daily schedule, in theory--when I'm not travelling, looks something like this--

7:30 a.m. wake up and spend a few minutes with my wife and son before they leave the house and I do a 15 minute devotional followed by a 35 minute workout, then shower.

8:45ish--take my coffee to the "office", which is a nice single purpose room on the lower level of our house with great double doors out to the lower deck which I often open this time of year just to feel the breeze and listen, last week a HUGE buck (male deer) was eating about ten feet from me for several minutes...awesome.

If I'm in town, I usually spend the rest of my day until around 6 p.m. in the office, with a short break for a snack two or three times. What I do in those 9 hours varies from frenzied paperwork and long phone calls to blog reading, writing, and soul searching, which is why much of my best "work" gets done when I'm not in the office. I will sometimes go portable and end up at Starbucks or Pathway.

6 p.m.--One nice part about my commute being a flight of stairs is that I am often able to just walk upstairs and start cooking dinner about the same time that my wife and son get home. We try to make this happen at least three times a week.

7 p.m.--After dinner and clean-up, it's time for some boy time, which means pretending to be super heroes or wrestling and often this all ends with my wife screaming at us to go away.

8 p.m.--Once Alexander is super hyper from this hour of power, it's time to start winding down which usually involves some books and an episode of one of the super hero shows we just reenacted or the infamous Spongebob.

9 p.m.--Within a few minutes of 9, the little man goes to bed and Erika and I get to spend about an hour together, which this time of year means I get to sit next to her while she watches all the new shows.

10 p.m.--Erika goes to bed and I plug back in to the laptop for a couple more hours of work and email answering, there is usually quite a bit sense I am three hours ahead of our HQ.

12 a.m. I go to bed thankful that I had another day to improve on the one before and hopefully pleased with the progress...

Of course, next month starts next week and it looks like this...

Next week--Multi-Site Conference at Seacoast Church in Charleston, SC
Following week--Catalyst Conference in Atlanta, GA
Next week-- Sales meeting in Orange County, CA
Last week-- Church of God conference in Garmisch, Germany

So much for the daily routine!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

6 days you are home in OCTOBER! that is all i have to say about that!

Klepper Family said...

Where is "hanging out and having lunch at Lee" at in this?

map