Thursday, April 2, 2009

How to improve your fuel economy

As those who have read for a while know, I drive a good bit for work, and I'm a bit of a fuel economy freak, I get upwards of 34 mpgs on the hwy when I'm careful, when I'm not it can sink into the high twenties.

I'm able to increase this by 10%-15%  by keeping my tires properly inflated, being conscientious of acceleration (not doing it too hard), and trying to coast into stops and maintain relatively stable speeds as much as possible. For those of you looking to increase fuel economy, it helps to have a more fuel efficient vehicle, here are the tops for the model year according to actual observed fuel economy according to consumer reports.

Toyote Prius
smart
Honda Civic Hybrid
Scion xd manual
Camry Hybrid
Honda Fit sport manual
Mini Cooper manual
Toyota Yaris
Volkswagen Jetta TDI

I left off # ten since the 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid is now available that would put it near the top of the list...and the government backs the warranty! :-)

No comments:

map