Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Podcasts, Prayer, and Play



I listen to a lot of preaching, it's a little odd. I grew up in a Pastor's home and even lived in the church most of my early childhood, I heard a lot of preaching. Once we moved to Tennessee, when I was eleven, we still went to church regularly, but it moved from being a central part of my life to the periphery. Through High School I was a good student and all around decent person, no sex, drugs, or alcohol, I was in AP classes and even the SHOW CHOIR!


I had a full ride to attend a respectable university, registered for classes, and then changed my mind at the last minute to stay closer to home, I actually received my transcript with all W's in late October from the other school. I made it through my first year of college without falling into many of the "normal" social ills that befall the average college kid experiencing freedom for the first time. Between my freshman and sophomore year of college I went to Army Basic Training in Ft. Leonard Wood, MO. It was one of the lowest and highest points of my life. I was completely physically broken, but emerged with a new confidence in God and myself.


What had given me a new confidence in my leadership and physical ability ultimately led me into a period of serious missteps, I emerged from college miraculously without any STD's. I then spent the next few years driven to "get ahead" and make as much money as possible. About three years ago, I took a job which again found me listening to lots of preaching, I even started doing some myself. Now I am involved in a great church, and still enjoy listening to several podcasts regularly, I guess I'm unique in that I need about 8 sermons a week to keep me straight. My favorites are...


Craig Groeschel
Rob Bell
Steven Furtick
Perry Noble
Dino Rizzo
Greg Surratt


Favorite line this week...

"Many of you will spend more time watching DVR shows today than you'll spend all week in Prayer...average person spends 6 hours a week shopping, 40 minutes a week Playing with your kids."-- Craig Groeschel

No comments:

map