Friday, December 19, 2008

Music




I was debating whether to finish a post I started earlier when I started humming a song from a movie I just saw, it changed my mind...


I'm a pretty big music lover, not quite to the level of my father in law who has every album produced from 1973 to present (well almost), but my taste include everything from Keith Green to Kanye West. My Ipod play lists look like they belong to someone with multiple personalities, I mean what normal person would go from Rascall Flats to Hillsong to Swiss Beatz? Due to my varied, wide, and eclectic taste in music, it should come as no surprise that I've always been a fan of musicals.


It started in High School when our drama department did Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and Into the Woods (still a favorite of mine), but really blossomed after college when I spent a summer in NYC and saw at least one show every week. Some good, some bad, nearly all very entertaining.


Last week my wife and I, along with James and Angela Laws, went to see the travelling production of the "Billy Joel and Twyla Tharp Sensation" Movin' Out at Memorial Auditorium in Chattanooga. It was less of a traditional musical and more of a concert with choreographed dance helping tell the story in the foreground. It was the most un-traditional "musical" I've ever seen, but by the end it was also in the top half of those I'd seen due to the originality in presentation and the Billy Joel music was AWESOME. If you're not a Joel fan, this would probably be a very tough two hours to sit through!


A couple days ago my wife rented Mamma Mia! and I was seduced by it. I wanted to hate it, I did hate it, but still I find myself singing ABBA songs this morning while trying to work. It reminded me of the power of music...


There is a cool movie, actually a "Rockumentary" that came out in October- CALL+RESPONSE.

I heard the director, Justin Dillon, at a conference and he distilled the truth I've always known but never put into words... Music has the power to enter our subconscious and go around our defenses unlike anything else, we can ignore a pleading orator, close our eyes, or walk away, but music will pierce your soul, It stays with you.


Be careful what you listen too, it WILL change you...whether you like it or not. Mamma Mia, here I go again...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

CALL+RESPONSE did pierce my soul! I listen to the soundtrack on the website all the time at work. More people need to see that movie, people's awareness of how HUGE the human trafficking issue is is minimal (I know mine was before the movie).

map