Monday, October 6, 2008

Top 3--#1

This is my attempt to bring more of a standardized approach to my blogging schedule, I will now be doing a weekly top three to go along with my city review and quote of the week, leaving room for just a couple random posts per week...



Speaking of random, I will start with a pretty random top 3---



TOP 3 Rap songs of the early 90's that aren't by MC HAMMER or VANILLA ICE



Of course we all remember Ice Ice Baby and U Can't touch This...but that's about where our memory ends for early nineties rap, so here is a little memory jogger



3. Baby Got Back, Sir-Mix-Alot--1992
The annoying melodic repetition is coming back to you already, I know.



2. O.P.P., Naughty by Nature--1991
This was the one that got things a little out of hand at the prom!



1. Nuthin but a G Thang, Dr. DRE--1992
The beginning of the Gangster rap goes mainstream era that started the whole coastal warfare





Honorable Mention---The Humpty Dance, Digital Underground--1990 and Insane in the Membrane, Cypress Hill--1993



P.S. Ace of Bass and LaBouche were disqualified for just being a guy speaking occasionally with techno in the background and a really loud woman mimicking whitney houston, you know you wanna be my lover...

3 comments:

Kevin Stover said...

mmm great post. As a connoisseur of 90's rap, I would place the songs you mentioned on my top 10 list, but I'm not so sure about top 3.

If we're talking about popular rap songs,I'd have to throw in:

California Love (95) - Dre, Tupac, everyone else on Deathrow.
Gin and Juice (93) - Snoop
I wish (95) - Skee Lo


If we're talking about quaility, cutting edge stuff, I'd have to go with any of the lesser-played stuff from Tupac's early career. I like(d) a lot of the stuff from his Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z (93) album. And, you can't go wrong with Me Against the World (95). Granted, most of the rap that I really enjoy(ed) may qualify for the mid-ninties.

Jeremy said...

For my purposes in this ranking early nineties was 90-93, Gin and Juice was in the running, but early nineties was less about gangsta and more about rap with some sillyness. I can see you riding around listening to Skee Lo, "I wish I was a little bit taller, I wish I was a baller!"

Peter Zefo said...

I really don't have a comment, but your word verification is "ozefo"...It must be a sign!

Don't be dissin' on DCTalk's Jesus Freaks album...now that was a hip record, word up, whiteboy

map