Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Poverty

I have been pushing this feeling to the back of my stomach for months, but it keeps coming back.

Why can I make a good living, have a nice house, two cars, two computers, three TVs, enough clothes to go a month without doing laundry, and anything I want to eat can be delivered within a few minutes??

At the same time, in my city, there are people who go hungry so their kids can eat, struggle to pay rent on their mobile home, and spend months looking for a job to pay their medical bills.

If I hop in one of the two cars we have we can drive to places where people spend their nights at the Rescue mission and their days collecting aluminum cans.
If I buy a plane ticket, within hours I can be in the middle of a village where shirts and shoes are a luxury and a hot meal is the stuff of legend. Why?

I have questioned this reality for too long. I realized today that things are this way because we have allowed it, even encouraged it with our greed and selfishness. It's time to change EVERYTHING...

It starts with the decision to create rather than consume, and build relationships rather than walls...it starts TODAY...

No comments:

map