Monday, November 24, 2008

Top 3 #8


I threw a little party for my wife's 30th birthday recently and experimented a bit with mixed drinks. As you may have noticed if you've been reading my blog, I'm an increasingly passionate believer in locally sourced products, which is why I chose to make the Liquor of choice our own locally brewed Tennessee Whiskey's (or Whisky for one of them), Jack Daniels and his lesser known relative George Dickel.


I've toured both distilleries and prefer both the taste and the tour at the smaller George Dickel distillery. However, Jack Daniels is both produced and bottled in a single location vs. Dickel which is made in Tennessee but bottled in New England. So, all that being said, this week's Top 3 is...


TOP THREE Cocktails made with Tennessee Whisky


3. The Big Orange--This is a Moore original, which means I created it myself, always a dangerous thing. It's a mixture of Dickel and Mango Mojito mixer about 1:2, it went fast!!!


2. TN Mint Julep--My favorite, but this list is based on popularity. Simply take a cup of sugar, two handles of either whiskey, and a LOT of crushed mint, mix, strain, and enjoy. It's like the Kentucky Derby only better!


1. Jack and Coke--I usually do it with Diet Coke since I'm watching my figure, but this is by far the most popular drink made with TN Whiskey.


One word of warning...Dickel is 90 proof and Jack is 80 proof, so all of the above drinks can sneak up on you and create and angrier or huggier (spellcheck is suggesting this isn't a real word....whatever!) version of yourself....both dangerous! You've been warned.


By the way, the difference between a Tennessee Whiskey and a Kentucky Bourbon (besides geography)is Charcoal Mellowing of the Tennessee Whiskey's, now you know...and Knowing is half the Battle!

1 comment:

Klepper Family said...

I enjoyed The Big Orange quite a bit! Yummy!

map