Thursday, November 13, 2008

RANDOM---where I am today

Today is a BUSY BUSY day! Doing lots of last minute preparations for the arrival of my In-laws and some other out of town company for my wife's big 30th birthday bash on Saturday. Getting some work done and making sure the house is mother in-law clean! Wanted to give a quick update though on a couple other things I'm pretty excited about.

Last week I posted some things our family is doing to minimize our environmental impact. Since then I've been doing some work on buying more of our food from local sources. Today we pick up our first fresh local eggs at Clover Wreath Farm here in Cleveland and we're finding that choices to buy other locally sourced products are increasing especially at two of our grocery stores, Season's Harvest and Abundant Living. Also, just placed a beef order from Homestead, which is both locally raised without the use of antibiotics and grain fed. Cutting down on our meat consumption and eliminating pork entirely, have found that Tennessee has a growing farm raised Prawn/Shrimp industry...

In other news, I've bought several different low flow shower heads in the past week and through trial and error have found a good Delta shower head that uses 1.6 GPM and provides very good pressure and coverage. In our house we average two ten minute showers per day, at a savings of .90 GPM over a normal shower head, we will save over 6,500 Gallons of water a year just by changing out this shower head! Just ordered a couple low flow faucet aerators to drop my faucet water usage down from 2.2 Gallons per minute to 1.5 GPM...we'll see how they perform.

Speaking of local products, I've become more appreciative of Tennessee whiskey since touring both the George Dickel and Jack Daniels Distilleries, they're worth the trip.

I've been looking at names and their meanings since we are having another son in a few months, we've pretty well settled on a name, but a few others I like are Gideon, Samuel, and Christian.

I guess it's time to stop procrastinating and get ready for the big visit...here we go!

No comments:

map