Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Digital Cameras


My wife's 30th birthday just happened and I got her a new DSLR as a gift. I researched for MONTHS! It ultimately came down to a few opinions, including several blogs, and price...

Very quickly I discovered that anyone considering moving in to the semi-pro world of photography really has two choices Canon and Nikon (sorry to all you Olympus and Sony folks). From there I had to consider budget, under $1000, which left me with just a few choices. The Nikon D40, D60, and D80, and the Canon Xti, XS, and Xsi.

As I've already mentioned, it came down to the opinions of several friends and family, including a professional photographer. They all came to the same conclusion, the Canon Xsi is the best camera on the market available in the price range I was confined to. I purchased my Canon Xsi at Circuit City with a kit lens, after I got them to 110% match the Wal-Mart price. I'm hopeful that my wife will enjoy it and maybe even become a world renowned photographer (SI swimsuit issue with me along for the ride?).

What it came down to was a couple things, the majors are CMOS sensor and 3" live view LCD screen. Both items are not available in the price range from Nikon. If money was not object...for a ultra high end consumer camera, the Nikon D90 would be my choice due to its ability to record High Definition video! One thing I would do differently if I hadn't needed the camera right away, would have been to order it online from a reputable seller like Amazon or FotoConnection.

So there is my two cents on DSLR's....good luck!

No comments:

map