Monday, August 10, 2009

Magazines worth reading

I read a lot of books, but those take a certain amount of devotion and time that I don't always have or want to invest in that way. So I also read a lot of magazines. A couple of the things I enjoy about magazines are...



variety-one magazine can give me several different perspectives and topics vs the same time spent in a book...

timeliness-sometimes a book is stale the day it arrives on the shelf, but magazines offer fresh insight on timely issues weekly/monthly/quarterly...



So with that in mind, here are some magazines that keep me up on various issues in culture and the church that I would recommend any ministry leader check out and while some are more geared to persons in a certain role (XP, Youth, etc.) all are worth a skim just to see what others are doing



Relevant--good magazine which gives me a christian take on pop culture



Rolling Stone- it's like Relevant only better and more relevant...also has more cursing and fewer christian ads



Church Executive-this one is pretty dry but always has a nugget or two of administrative wisdom



Church Solutions--similar to above



Time--a good place to get news and an opinion on it



Creation Care--Love the perspective and insight I get from this one, only wish it was published more frequently



Sojourners--intelligent insight on a variety of Justice issues



GOOD--eclectic mix of news, environmentalism, and general thought provoking goodness



Leadership Journal--christian, good, but not as good as...



Harvard Business Review--most expensive thing I read, but least costly...SOLID



REV--all about the reverend in a sometimes irreverent way



strategy+business--similar to (but less expensive than) Harvard Business Review



So there's the dirty dozen at the top of my reading list for church leaders...what other periodical resources are you and your team using???

2 comments:

daniel said...

Why didn't Bird Talk get in your article?

Jeremy said...

it just did Daniel...it just did...

map